Monday, February 28, 2011

A Hawaiian Vacation

 Authors note: This piece is written in perspective of a 18 year old girl going on vacation. It is written in first person present tense.


Another long and boring vacation with my family here I come. Whining and pouting all the way to airport just thinking of how I could’ve been on a cruise ship with all of friends. But no, I have to spend my spring break with my little brother and my parents who keep telling me this will be a great family bonding experience. Spending a whole week on the Hawaiian beaches does sound quite relaxing and a lot of fun but not with my family. My kind of vacation is laying on a towel on the beach wearing cute sunglasses while reading a book and sipping lemonade. My parents are the exact opposite. They are way too adventurous for me. They have activities planned for every day of the week. We are going to go explore Hawaii, go fishing, scuba-diving, and snorkeling. They call them daily excursions. I call them having to get up way too early to go on a trip where I will be forced to do something I am extremely scared of.


I arrive at my hotel and my parents let me go to the beach before it’s time to eat dinner. I better enjoy the time I have on the beach because it will be my last. I grab my swim suit, towel, and sunglasses and head towards the beach. I find an open spot and lay my towel down and instantly a little kid who is all wet and covered in sand runs past my towel soaking it and covering it in sand. Grumbling, I shake my towel off and lay down. I am at ease laying in the sun getting a golden tan when I slowly fall asleep. I wake up to my mom standing over me with a OMG look on her face. I sit up, trying to remember everything that was going on when I feel my whole body stinging. I look at my self and see that I am completely sunburned. My mom helps me up and I slowly and painfully walk back to the hotel. As I walk up the beach, every face looks just like my mom’s. What a horrible way to start off an already horrible vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Your voice was just right for a girl at the age of eighteen. I thought that you were very descriptive. I was able to see a picture in my head as I read through the entire thing. Your vocabulary was also very nice. I think that you can change "lay" to "lie" now that we just talked with Mr. Johnson about that. Next your author's note should be italicized, maybe you just forgot. Overall, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete