Monday, February 14, 2011

Embarrasment to the Fullest

I twirl and twirl in my pretty pink tutu with a carefree smile at the age of 4.  Ballet class was my favorite part of the day with the exception of one person -- my teacher. A crazy old lady with white hair sticking up as if she hadn’t brushed it ever. She scared the living daylights out of me. She was one of those people that you avoided conversation with and just did what she said. I was a cute little girl who followed instructions, always. I never wanted to be first in line but I wasn’t at the end either. One day we were doing our regular jumps and twirls and all of sudden it hit me. It had to use the bathroom. I decided I could hold it for the rest of the class. I continued twirling and jumping, but I had to go even worse now. My twirling probably looked more like a potty dance by now.

Oh no, it was my turn  to go in front of the class and leap across the whole dance floor, by myself. I really had to go to the bathroom but I was way too scared to ask. I really, really did not want to ask her. I was afraid she’d yell at me or be really angry, so I decided not to ask her and just hold it. I made my way to the front of the room and started leaping and then the most embarrassing moment of my toddler years happened. I started peeing in front of the whole class while leaping across the room. I did not stop leaping though. I leaped all around the room while I was peeing.

My teacher just kind of looked at me wondering why I didn’t ask to use the bathroom.  She had to do something about the mess so she got paper towel and rags and started cleaning up. Surprisingly she didn’t seem even a little bit mad. When my mom came to pick me up my teacher told her about what happened. When we got in the car she asked me why I didn’t just ask to go to the bathroom I said, “I was scared.” My mom just laughed.

2 comments:

  1. That was an interesting post. I liked how you included thoughts and quotes from when you were a little four year old dancing. You were very descriptive about that one little moment in your toddler years. I though that it was a very fun post to read and you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cute piece! I like how you aren't too embarrassed to relate a story that was incredibly embarrassing. You poor little thing! I can just picture you in your outfit, dancing across the floor. It's funny how we see adults as so mean when we are little, as if the instructor would've been angry with you for going to use the restroom. When we read anecdotes, this is exactly what we are looking for -- a situation we can relate to, or teaches us something about what it means to be a person.

    ReplyDelete