Sunday, November 14, 2010

How 4 Words Changed My Outlook on Life

Authors Note:  This is NOT a true story. I wrote this story because I have thought about what I would do if I was told I had 6 months to live. Also, the movie, The Bucket List gave me ideas of what to put on the bucket list.

 Have you ever thought tragic events only happen in movies or on the news? Have you ever thought that nothing bad could ever happen to you? Do you think that someone will always be there to protect you? Well, that's a lie. The truth is "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." - Forest Gump


"Pain", pain is the most frequently used word in my vocaubulary. I say, "I'm in pain," when nurses, family, and friends ask how I'm doing, which is everyday. I know I am fortunate enough to have so much love given to me, but I feel that nothing and no one can heal my uncontrollable disease.

"I have your test results," my doctor said to me in a mildly unconvincing voice. 

"OK," both my parents and I said while taking in deep breaths.  "We're ready to hear them." All three of us were holding hands on my hospital bed.

"It's not good news."

At that point my heart was in my stomach.

"You have," he took a pause and then continued, "6 months maximum to live."  He then said, "I'm sorry," and left the room in silence.

The room was silent, only with a few loud whimpers coming from my mom. I didn't know what to think. It didn't seem real but at the same time I knew it was.

Being told that you could die anytime in the next 6 months really makes you think. "Did I enjoy my time here on earth? Did I bring joy to others? What do I want to do before I leave?  What can I do, so that when the time comes I'm ready to leave without any regrets?"

I really thought about the third question. "What do I want to do before I leave?"  I then decided to write a bucket list. I wrote down the first thoughts that popped into my head.

1. Go to Hawaii
2. Meet President Barack Obama
3. Throw the first pitch at a Brewers game
4. Visit the Great Wall of China
5. Go skydiving
6. Go Bunji Jumping
7. Have lunch with Sandra Bullok

I told my parents about my list containing a passel of ideas, and they of course wanted me to be happy, so they agreed to it. The first event I got to do was throw the first pitch at the Brewers game. It was an amazing experience. The announcer told the fans my story(I don't think there was a dry eye in the whole stadium) and I got to stand next to Trevor Hoffman on the pitching mound and throw the first pitch. The whole stadium errupted in clapping and hollering like they all just won the lottery. After the game I got to hang out with the whole Brewer team. It was an experience that any sports fanatic would pay a lot of money for.

Next, I took a 14 hour plane ride to the beautiful beaches of Hawaii. I stayed there for 3 days and soaked up all the sun I could. After sitting on the beaches I decided to head to the capitol and spend a day in the White House. I had a fun time with President Obama, his wife Michelle and their daughters. I then went to the Great Wall of China, bunji jumping, and had lunch with Sandra Bullok.

When I was 3,000 ft. above the ground about to jump out of an airplane I realized that I wasn't happy with the way I was spending the last part of my life, but I didn't know why. I had diligently done everything I had ever wanted to and more. Something just wasn't right. After I safely landed I finally realized what it was. I wasn't fufilling my second question. "Have I brought joy to others?"

Everything I had done over the last month has been for me and nobody but me. Why do everything for myself when I will be gone soon? Why not make a difference in the lives of others that will still be here when I'm gone? And that's just what I did. I first started in the Phillipians and then went  to Haiti. I had made it on the news in every state and in all newspapers. I was proud of myself and I knew my family was too. I went all across the world helping families and children by giving them food, shelter, hope, and love.

When my time came to leave the earth I was ready. I knew I lived 13 wonderful years and made an impact in many lives. That was the best feeling I could ever imagine.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good blog post because it had emotions and it was very descriptive. I will never forget our 7th grade bucket list.

    ReplyDelete