Monday, November 14, 2011

What's the Real Meaning?

Author’s Note: I wrote this piece because Thanksgiving is coming up and I believe the true meaning is sometimes lost. In this piece I used AB transition technique.

 When you think of Thanksgiving is the first word that pops in your head, Turkey? It seems as if the feast, and preparation is the most important part of Thanksgiving. Has the real meaning of Thanksgiving completely slipped away?

We get caught up thinking that Thanksgiving is about making the biggest turkey, but it’s really about showing your thanks. The idea of giving thanks started with the Pilgrims. The pilgrims came to America for one reason -- to build a community where they could worship God. They went through many struggles including; not producing enough crops, and many deaths throughout the first year. This did not stop them they continued to work hard and it paid off. There land became plentiful.  They were very grateful to God for all he blessed them with.

I am very blessed for what I have been given in my life. I have a family that loves me and a house to live in. I am also blessed with friends, a good school, and the ability to participate in many activities. During the time of Thanksgiving I reflect on the past year and give thanks for everything that has been given to me.

I believe we should celebrate Thanksgiving as the Indians did. We should take time to give thanks to God for everything he has blessed us with. This thought sometimes slips our mind and we focus more on the preparation of Thanksgiving then the real meaning. For me, Thanksgiving is a time to take a step back from my everyday life and give thanks for every blessing I have. It is a time to give thanks for the present but also for all the memories you have shared.


Farah, Joseph. "The Real Meaning of Thanksgiving." WND HOME PAGE. 2 Nov. 2001. Web. 02 Nov. 2011. <http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25419>

No comments:

Post a Comment