Thursday, May 12, 2011

Carnival

Author's Note: I wrote this piece in response to the carnival that the Academy 21 put on. It was a great success.

All the  the hard work and dedication to this carnival all paid off when everyone was having a great time and a tremendous amount of money was raised.  It was great to see the community helping us too. Many businesses donated money and items to help our carnival be successful. All of the businesses that donated money showed that they really cared about the cause and helping out their community.

 Looking back at this experience I realized how much I can take away from it. Raising money for the American Diabetes Association was really great idea. I felt really strong about where the money was going because my brother was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I know the everyday struggles that go along with the disease-- which are many. Finding a cure for diabetes would change many peoples lives including my brothers.

Picturing how happy and blessed the organization receiving the money must be makes all of our time and effort worth it. I believe this project gives many students the motivation to start helping and donating to causes.  We got the chance help with a big project that benefited an important cause and knowing that, I would love to do it again!

5 comments:

  1. I think this piece was well written. By you mention your brother having diabetes it made it feel more real to me, like the money was all really going to a good place. I also think we should do another carnival as you said because this one was such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you were brave enough to bring a personal experience into this post. It proves that fundraisers like these really do matter.And I think you had a really good perspective on the carnival and you did a great job putting it into words.You're totally right that the foundation must have been thrilled to get this kind of donation! You did a nice job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you talked about our brother in this piece. I think it is easy to go into this response with a mindset of, "We have to do this so I'll just point out the core competencies and be done with it." You did the total opposite by adding in a personal touch that pulled the whole piece together. By focusing on the things that are truly important in our life and then incorporating them into our writing makes it so much more advanced and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you mentioned. We worked great together and I was amazed by everything that people had donated and done for the diabetes fundraiser. I also liked how you tied in your own experience, well your brother's experience. This reflective piece, I thought, really had your voice in it. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a really good piece. You explained everything about the carnival perfectly. I also really liked how you talked about how your brother was diagnosed with diabetes. It really connected the piece well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete